Have a teen who wants to learn to cook? Here are three easy recipes that my family loves! We always make them for the holidays. These would be great beginner recipes for a new cook.
This one is a super simple, tasty fruit salad that can be made in about five minutes. It doesn’t require any cooking just opening up some cans and packages and mixing it all together. The recipe is very flexible, you can add slightly more or less fruit, marshmallows or whipped topping. You can also add chopped nuts or sliced bananas if you want.
1 (3.4 ounce) instant pistachio pudding
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
12 ounces of whipped topping
1 (30 ounces) can of fruit cocktail, drained
1 (15 ounces) can of mandarin oranges, drained
Half a bag of miniature marshmallows
Dump the can of crushed pineapple into a large bowl. Add the pistachio pudding and mix well. Mix in whipped topping, fruit cocktail, oranges and marshmallows. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Cheater Cinnamon Rolls
We love to have these on Christmas morning! Not quite as pretty as regular homemade cinnamon rolls, but very yummy and easy to make.
20 frozen dinner rolls
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup instant vanilla pudding mix
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ cup melted butter
- Place the rolls in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Combine the brown sugar, pudding mix and cinnamon in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the rolls and then top with melted butter. Cover pan with a clean damp cloth and let rise overnight on the countertop.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for twenty-five minutes or until golden brown.
Cream Cheese Corn
This is a family favorite that has to be made at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. My kids love this so much. I always make a huge pot.
2 lbs. frozen corn
¼ cup of butter
8 ounces of cream cheese
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
- Dump corn into a medium saucepan. Cover with water and cook until corn is thawed. Drain corn in colander and then dump back into pot.
- Add cream cheese and butter. Cook, stirring, on medium heat until cream cheese and butter are melted. Add salt and pepper.
Cooking is a great skill for any young person to learn. Once they get out on their own they will appreciate being able to make tasty dishes. Hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!